[OZAPRS] APRS automated into your home

Shaun Pitcher spitcher at energy.com.au
Tue Dec 18 17:50:10 EST 2007

Thanks Geoff,

I was mainly interested in the part that interfaces with APRS, so it
remained on topic.  I will investigate when I get a bit of time, say
around 2012?

Yes, your could hoax as Geoff and set his lights off!  I was in Melbourne
for a while when I first set up.  GPS stream was not going to the Modem.
Back in Sydney now.

Regards,
Shaun Pitcher

"Geoff" <geoff at gatwards.org>
Sent by: ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au
18/12/2007 02:01 PM
Please respond to
VK / ZL  APRS Users  <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>

"'VK / ZL  APRS Users'" <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>
cc

Subject
Re: [OZAPRS] APRS automated into your home

Hi Shaun,

Home Automation is a very broad area to play in, beyond the scope of this
mailing list, however here is a brief summary of what I do here.

I run an application called Homeseer (http://www.homeseer.com) which
manages
all of my automation.  It talks to several IO controllers via Ethernet,
and
these in turn read various inputs and control outputs, including Relays to
turn on and off various lights.  It also has quite a good TextToSpeech
engine embedded, which drives several speakers around the house via an
amplifier.  (The speakers are also used to play MP3/Streaming audio)
A set of RF motion detectors and keypads also integrate with the system,
and
to finish it off the whole lot is controlled in a friendly manner from a
touchscreen panel in the hall, driven by another application called
MainLobby (http://www.cinemaronline.com/mainlobby.html)

On top of the basic HS package, there are a large number of plugins,
including one called  APRSParser, written by KB1MTS.  This plugin connects
directly to the APRS-IS, and you set up a 'device' within the automation
package for each callsign you need.  (I have once device called  VK2XJG-9)
The plugin also has configurable locations, I set up 'home' and 'work' as
the appropriate coordinates for each.

This device can then trigger various events when pre-defined conditions
are
met.  In my case, one example is I announce a text string when VK2XJG-9 is
at a position less than 2km from 'home'.

As I mentioned - it's a very complex and large area to start playing with
-
but it can be a lot of fun - and very time consuming  :-)

Regards,
Geoff  VK2XJG