[OZAPRS] HF watchers

vk7arn vk7arn at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 12 19:31:19 EST 2007

Thanks Richard.  That's one of the sites (db0anf) I emailed to Ron for his
family and friends to watch their travels.  Unfortunately we didn't get
his
tracker fixed in Adelaide.  He's not carrying a PC with him (loaded to the
roof)
and an offer of help came after his departure.  He says-

 "Smart beaconing is on.  I have the rate set at 10 minutes for fast speed
and
20 minutes for slow speed.  Looks like smart beaconing takes over.  Not
much I
can do about it until I get home.  I'll only turn it on from time to
time."

His track seems to support that.  I asked him to leave it on unless he was
in a
built up area and turning lots of corners.  Maybe we can get him fixed
whan he
gets to Perth.  I believe he's doing a side trip to SA from Perth (SA =
South
Africa), so there will be a break before he turns back east.  I doubt
they'll
let him take his Codan on the flight!

Interesting Google sat. image of their stop at Top Springs tonight.
Suspect
it's aged.  The track around the car park looks odd.  If you look at the
zoomed
map rather than the sat image you can see a different set up.  A quick
Google
search showed up a NT planning document for a motel development which is
consistent with the map view.  Also an ABC story on a planned motel
development.
The round the car park track then makes sense!

Roger VK7ARN