[OZAPRS] APRS Databusrt

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sat Aug 11 10:49:17 EST 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:29:44AM +1000, Andrew Rich wrote:
> I would like to make representation to the company that makes easy
radio.

> They are currently on 434 and 900 MHz licence free bands.
>
> They do 19k2 on air at 10 mW.
>
> I would like to ask them about producing a module that is up the band a
bit
> into the 70 cm region.
>
> I have looked at after burners. For $80 I can get a kit that will give
me
> around 15 watts out.
>
> The databurst is true FSK at 100 kHz.
>
> I am now curious as to the licence implications.
>
> Where would you run a digital signal around 100 kHz wide on 70 cm ?

The license conditions are available at
http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/aca_home/legislation/radcomm/acts/consolidati
ons/radam_1of97.pdf

In short, above 420MHz you can use as much bandwidth as you like if you
have an advanced license. (With the exception that 420-430MHz is
unavailable in many capital cities.)

In terms of bandplans, see
http://www.wia.org.au/bandplans/Australian%20Amateur%20Band%20Plans%200707
16.pdf

Above 440MHz is reserved for repeater links and ATV and a few hunderd
kHz reserved. Personally I couldn't see the harm in operating up there.
Also 440MHz+ is available in the US which might appeal to the
manufacturer also.

Amateur standard stations are limited to 16kHz maximum on any band.

Hamish