[OZAPRS] 10MHz HF Gateway -Re: New to list

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Aug 31 17:43:01 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au [mailto:ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au] On
Behalf Of Rodney Mitchell
>Top of email, sorry, couln't quickly find the reference point.
>Why would it be a waste to use a top radio for APRS? I have a toggle
>switch so one position is APRS, the other normal HF with the curly
cord,
>too easy!

I guess it depends on what you do with AR..  The only non-APRS traffic
I've done on AR bands in the last 7 years are talking to three specific
people, and one SOS call when we had an accident in the hills on a group
ride, and there was no mobile coverage..  The *very* small amount of
voice traffic that I do do, is actually done on either UHF (and then
usually on CB freqs), on a VHF repeater before coming into simplex
range, or on a commercial VHF freq which my modded FT8100 happily
works..  Can't see myself ever needing to do voice on HF, hence for me,
something other than a
simple-as-possible-but-reliable-and-frequency-locked HF transceiver is
major overkill :)

Cheers,

Damien

--