[OZAPRS] VK4VP-15 Tiny Trak 3 HF config

Andrew McDade amcdade at iprimus.com.au
Thu Apr 12 09:59:20 EST 2007

Gday Gordon,

The settings provided on the web site are set to be bandwidth friendly.
Basically the corner pegging is more or less disabled by winding up those
particular settings to maximum. So then we are left with the beacons due
rate of speed change algo, which is also set so as to really wind back the

beacon rate when stationary and increase the beacon rate to 10 minutes
whilst mobile. These are a good HF friendly set of parameters, however
like
all things, can be altered and experimented within to suit individuals
requirements. The basic philosophy for HF beacon rates in Australia is no
quicker that once per 5 minutes period. However globally I think they talk

about beacon rates no quicker than once every 10 minutes or so whilst
mobile
and perhaps once every 20-30 minutes when stationary. Certainly any
configuration that generates beacons quicker than once a minute on HF is
really going to cause some issues when there are a few HF mobiles running
around.
On VHF the concept is the same in that the corner pegging is essentially
disabled. Again this setting creates the most bandwidth friendly
configuration. From the experiences we've seen, its the corner pegging
algo
that can really generates too much traffic.
and like you say the critical parameter there is the "MIN TURN TIME". This

parameter could probably be mucked about with some more,  so as to
generate
some corner pegging, but without over doing it. So on VHF you could set
the
"min turn time" to say 90 seconds,  "min turn angle" to 30 degrees, and
"turn slope" to 255. On HF perhaps we could try "min turn time" to 240
seconds ( 4 minutes ) , "min turn angle" 30 degrees, and "turn slope" to
255. I haven't actually tested these parameters fully myself , however it
would be interesting to see the outcome.

Regards .. Andrew .. VK5EX