[OZAPRS] European v US new paradigm and path limiting+confusion....

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Tue Oct 31 22:52:12 EST 2006

Hi Mike,

I think you are correct about the possible confusion changes to the APRS
paths may course. I'm not sure how many operators really understand how
the
APRS paths work.

We put a few power point slides together a while ago to assist in the
understanding of APRS paths. Visit
http://vk3.aprs.net.au/symposium/pathing/frame.htm to see them.

I've also put a UI-View configuration guide on the web for VK3. It will
probably apply to most other states at the moment too. See
http://vk3.aprs.net.au/ui-view_config.htm As well there is a TinyTrack
parameter guide at http://vk3.aprs.net.au/tt_settings.htm and a VK3 and
path
guide for VK3 areas at http://vk3.aprs.net.au/packet_path_guide.htm
I'll update these pages after a National APRS Standard is developed.

Hope this helps everyone in understanding APRS networking a little better.

Do you think that staying with RELAY,WIDE when the rest of the world moves
to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 will cause confusion for new VK operators in the
future?

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK

It
> [...]
> have a look from time to time and see where my packets have bouncing
> around the network and now use TRACEn-n as my beacon path.
>
> State based FLOODING. In VK7 they use TASn-n, why not NSWn-n or QLDn-n
etc
> etc. If somebody wants to light up the State with his beacon, let him or
> she do it, but lets try and confine it to the State they are in.
>
> Lets make it simple for the newcomers and even without a change to the
new
> paradigm we could make a start with updating the VK2 APRS web pages to
> remove the inconsistencies and errors.
> If the other states have similar web pages could the administrators have
> look and see if they need a workover to reflect what is actually
happening
> in your area.
>
> I know for some this is all old hat for some and there are those who
think
> nothing needs to change but if its been a while since you have read up
on
> the subject please consider having a look at this.
>
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html
>
> Also have a think about how many hops you have in your path settings and
> whether it really needs to be as high as you have it set. If all your
want
> is to make it to an I-gate then have a look at your 48hour log down
> loadable from here http://france.aprs2.net/ and see if you can shorten
> your beacon path and still make it. A one hop reduction can make a big
> difference for everbody trying to use the frequency.
>

> Mike, VK2INT.
>

> Re: [OZAPRS] European v US new paradigm and path limiting
>
> Actually, I believe that your second paragraph answer your first
> paragraph. A very big reason that I see for us to change is that almost
> all APRS software, hardware and websites originate in either the US or
> Europe, and they will all be saying "Use these settings". Anyone setting
> up equipment for the first time is going to be really confused, we've
> seen it here in New Zealand recently.
>
> The new paradigm also enables the popular KPC3+ TNCs to be 100%
> successful as APRS digipeaters instead of suffering from lack of
> duplicate suppression when either plain RELAY or WIDE are used.
>
> Locally, we have some home stations using RELAY as their first digi hop
> setting because (I think) paths seem to be such a confusing issue for
> many users. A standard WIDE1-1,WIDEn-N for trackers and WIDEn-N for home
> stations would be so simple, and the tracing of paths will help network
> analysis and monitoring.
>
> 73 David ZL3AI.
>

> To: ozaprs at aprs.net.au
>
> Hi Ben and others,
>
> > Its a pity that we have to change things that really are not broken,
> just
> > because a few people cant get it right or wont listen.
>
> > This might seem a strange question, but why do we have to change? The
US