[OZAPRS] European v US new paradigm

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Mon Oct 23 23:01:05 EST 2006

Gday Dion,

Traffic from VK3VHF-1 is temporary solution while we are in between the
implementation of stages one and two of the Frequency Change Project. It
will be removed in a few months time and replaced by the usual IGate
traffic
network which is VK3 centric so you will not see it in VK7.

However, even though our digis may not digipeat each others IGate traffic
unless we choose to, each digipeater will still hear the other digi
transmit
and therefore hold off until the transmission has stopped. This will
reduce
the free air time and have the potential to produce packet collisions at
both of the digipeaters. (This in effect reduces the digipeaters coverage
range.) Hence we need to be aware of the data traffic levels our local
networks are producing as this may affect our neighbours' network. (One
way
to do this is with the UI-Traffic Monitor another is SiteAlert)

If the current 3VHF temporary system is causing VK7 problems and you would
like us to reduce the transmission rate from 3VHF-1 please let me know.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK

http://au.messenger.yahoo.com