[OZAPRS] More QRM

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Tue Nov 14 22:38:29 EST 2006

Gday Bob,

> That is, that it is the product of beacon rate -and- path length
> that should be considered.  A high rate -direct- is not as bad
> as a medium rate going out 3 hops to 27 digipeaters in all
> directions.  That is why we have to be careful about giving
> guidelines that only talk about rates and hops independently and
> without mention of the word "routine" in the receommendation.

I understand that there are options for the expert APRS user that can be
taken into consideration when used in a special event. However we don't
want
to cause confusion with all the possible options and rules etc. We want to
provide an easy to follow guide that will help operators systems to work
well with day to day APRS system operations here.

We are seeing a few stations with 3 hop paths beaconing at a 10 second
rate
for every day use. Not for any special event.

> I have seen a receommendation of 2 minutes and 2 hops for
> general use (but I would add the words "for routine general
> use".   It is the 24/7 routine operations which are mostly of
> little interest to anyone that is the major load on the system.

General use is 99% of the time. That is who we are wishing to educate.
A lot of the operators here are new to many of the APRS concepts and do
not
understand some of the advanced ideas, reasons and limitations you talk
about. We need to walk first.

> Getting that routine load under some general recommendations
> will go a long way toward providing enough bandwidth for someone
> doing a special trip to use a 1 minute rate and shorter path...

Yes the general recommendations is were we are heading. This will
conservere
the bandwidth we now have and alow for special event stations and future
traffic growth.

> So it seems to me, it might be OK to use 1 minute and 1 hop
> because it is doubtful that there are more than a few mobiles
> within range of any one digi...

Using a this type of high beacon rate even for one hope will still have an
impact on other digipeaters even if they do not digipeat the data. They
will
loose quit air time and perhaps increase the hidden transmitter problem.

> Similarly, anyone using 3 hops
> mobile ROUTINELY should probably go with a 5 minute rate.  Etc..

Yes they defiantly should have a beacon rate of greater than 2 minutes.

> So it is helpful when drawing lines in the sand, to include the
> conditions under which that line is being drawn...

It's fine if you have an in-depth understanding, an appreciation of the
complexity of the APRS system and act responsibly  but it can be very
confusing to many operators. That's why we want to keep it simple and set
some national guidelines.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK