[OZAPRS] New n-N VK7 suggested settings

Scott & Clare Evans clareandscott at bigpond.com
Sat Nov 11 10:03:15 EST 2006

G'day to all on the group.

As we are all aware there has been much discussion about implementing the
New n-N for an Australian wide generic path for both fixed and mobile
stations.  As the discussion has progressed there has been an apparent
divide between sticking with the old (former RELAY, WIDE & TRACE) and
adopting a new approach!  I realise that what we are using here in VK7
wouldn't fit for all regions however I believe that we have made a good
start and the network here is working well.

So getting to what the title implies!

Suggested settings for interstate visitors to VK7 as follows.

For fixed stations suggested is WIDE3-3

For Mobile Stations suggested is WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

The use of TASn-N is also encouraged (suggested 3-3)

All APRS digis here in VK7 are using UI-Digi TNC-2 compatible firmware (in
the south using 1.9.3b)

So when you see a beacon from a digi station (RHT,RAD,RAA,RAC & RWC) here
in
VK7 you'll see something similar to...

!4305.65SS14712.54E#PHG21303/W3,TASn VK7RHT APRS DIGI - 145.175MHz

The PHG is fairly conservative as the two digis in the south are low
powered
units (3-5 watts) the W3 implies the trapping of paths greater than
WIDE3-3
and the TASn is the ZONEn-N (SSn-N) there is no trapping on TASn-N so if
paths up to 7-7 are needed this is the one to use! (Maybe WICEN events!)

73 de VK7HSE Scott Evans