[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Nov 11 01:28:50 EST 2006

> How are going to get people to use the new "standard" when
> some cant even get the one we are using now right.
> I think we will be pushing s@#t up hill for quite some time.

Exactly!  Which was the whole incenteive for the New-N paradigm
in the first place.  That is, to clean up all the legacy mess in
APRS and get down to ONE simple system of WIDEn-N so that  *user
education* could get on track with a simple message....

1) "Use WIDEn-N with small values of N"
2) Large values will get trapped and may go nowhere beyond 1 hop
3) Digis will TELL you what is receommended (with something like
"W2" or "W3")
   in its beacon.

Users will do what is receommendd as long as they are hearing
the same thing from everyone.  In the past, this was impossible
with all the RELAY, WIDE, TRACE, TRACEn-N and SS alternatives...
And without any means at the digi to TRAP abuses.

It is the TRAPING of large N's that gives this system the
potential for success.  Users that don't adhere to WIDEn-N with
small values of N, wont get digipeated.  End of problem.  And
hence education will "help" them.

Bob, Wb4APR