[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

vk7arn vk7arn at bigpond.com
Fri Nov 10 09:39:08 EST 2006

Andrew

Answer - depends.  Are we talking:

reaching an Igate reliably, or
reaching a reliable Igate
reaching a reliable digi which reaches a reliable Igate

Current situation in Tas is (to the best of my knowledge) -
- The key digi RAA is off air due to a blown fuse (requires a bit of an
expedition to fix).
- The antenna on RAA which reliably reaches the south of Tas is in need of
attention by a qualified rigger (tower rules) so a temporary one is in use
(when
the fuse is not blown) which rarely reaches the southern digis
(propogation
dependant).
- There doesn't appear to be an Igate in the north east of Tas - depends
on
north west Igate being fed by RAA in the north east.
- There was an Igate in the east of the north west but has been off for
some
time, leaving a bit of a hole in the middle.
- There are still many areas in Tas which do not have affordable,
dependable
broadband access.
- There are lots of big hills and deep valleys in Tas.

There are some of us who would like to see whole of State coverage and are
working towards it.  Dick VK7DIK's new digi at RWC on the West Coast,
feeding
his Igate in the valley below has made a tremendous difference.  Wide
coverage
is going to need a variety of solutions, which may involve WIDE3-3

What I'm saying is, for all sorts of reasons, in Tas at least, there needs
to be
redundancy in the system.

Why not have words to the effect that WIDE2-2 is the default, with a note
that
special circumstances may dictate WIDE3-3, but this should only be applied
following consultation on requirements with the local System Operators
(and try
to maintain a list of who they are?).

To put things in a context, in April 2007 there will be several Amateurs
in APRS
equipped cars driving round the state working as volunteer comms Officials
on
Targa Tasmania.  This provides a tremendous opportunity to challenge
knowledge
and skills AND will provide a wonderful "spectator" event.  Beats watching
Fred
drive to work each morning and checking the temperature at Joe's place!
Could
even supply a map with all the Targa stages marked!

Cheers

Roger vk7arn

PS  Maybe one of you aeronautical types would like to fly round Tassie for
the
week with your airborne digi!
PPS I'm reliably informed that the article on APRS coverage of the
Tasmanian
Safari heat of the Australian Rally chamionship will be in November's A.R.
mag.
The interesting aspect is how we used the one frequency for voice and
APRS.