[OZAPRS] Did the VK1 balloon launch take place or did I miss it????

Craig Turner craig at craigturner.id.au
Thu Nov 9 22:49:30 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm not sure if you are refering to the balloon that I've discussed a
couple of times on this list, but I'll give an update.

It still hasn't gone ahead, both Alistair and myself are pretty busy
with study/work comittements and I've started flying lessons every
saturday and sunday (up at Cooma) which means I can't commit a whole day
to the launch. I'm heading overseas for two years in a month, so we are
running short of time.

Our plan now is to have a 3 hour flight, with a 'cut down' sequence
occuring by using a timer and relay mechanism which will cut free the
balloon and deploy a parachute.

I toyed with using a TNC-X and a PICAXE to recieve a cut down command
from the ground, which would have been a bit more fun, but I'm running
out of time before I have to leave.

I am expecting that we will launch it early afternoon (as I do my flying
lessons in the morning) in the next 2-3 weekends. I'll certainly give
notice on this list when I do, although I've already given 2 false
alerts, so I'm trying to make sure the third time is an actual 'go'.

Cheers
Craig
VK1HCT
http://www.craigturner.id.au