[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 9 09:15:31 EST 2006

> WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 for mobiles and WIDE2-2 for home stations ?
> OR
> WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 for mobiles and WIDE3-3 for home stations. ?

I appologize for kibitzing from so far away with no real clue as
to your traffic loading, but in the absence of being there, I
was going to say, based on comments I had seen on here that APRS
was small enough that it didn't need these measures yet...

Boy was I wrong.  I just zoomed on the first call I saw and
found that even Adelade is probably just about optimally loaded
and cannot afford much coming in from say Melbourne without
having some impact on throughput.  I see 50 stations within 50
miles of Adelade and that is about as high as you want to go
without losing reliability for small trackers.

Then I zoomed in on Melbourne and see that it is as dense as
some of our highest density cities in the USA!  We use WIDE2-2
in those areas...
(see MAP on http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

Seeing these maps, I now am convinced that you are on the right
track to implement the New-N paradigm measures to help improve
the reliability of local area APRS.  And since these population
densities seem quite well focused with big gaps inbetween, then
it does make sense to limit the WIDEn-N hops so that mobiles in
one area are not QRMING long distances away to the other
areas...

Great work!
Bob, Wb4APR