[OZAPRS] WIDE1-1 (was: European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....)

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Tue Nov 7 17:50:42 EST 2006

Chris Hill wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Is there an advantage to having a path of "WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2", instead of
> "WIDE3-3"?
>
> I would have thought that the slightly shorter packet (approx 10%
shorter)
> would be preferable, as it has a slightly better chance of being decoded
> error free at the first digipeater (and hence accessing the network).

I'm learning here too, but doesn't WIDE1-1 activate fill-in digis (aka
RELAY stations?). A fluttery mobile station might not get a decodable
packet into a WIDE2/WIDE3 digi but has a better chance being relayed by
another user's home RF station first.

73
Gavin
--

       Gavin Rogers                     |  Amateur radio station VK6HGR
     http://www.livingwaters.com/good   |     http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
    ICQ: 17230395          Skype/MSN/Email: grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au