[OZAPRS] European v USnewparadigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Dion Bramich vk7ybi at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 7 19:43:54 EST 2006

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 19:41:06 +1100, Ron Perry <ronk at sunlinux.com.au>
wrote:

> Hi All,
> Just back from our ride to the Vic Alps. My, hasn't this list been
> busy.  :-)
>
> On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 18:40 +1100, Dion Bramich wrote:
>> Roaming mobiles would use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 or whatever.  Mobiles not
>> expecting to cross zone boundaries would use ZONE1-1,ZONE2-2 thus
>> eliminating interzone QRM.
>>
> Just a couple of thoughts.
> The idea of using ZONE1-1, ZONE2-2 for as well as WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 just
> creates more confusion and complexity for the users.  Are we not trying
> to simplify it so, at least for mobiles, one standard path works?

Explain why its more confusing.  The new paradigm is simple, moreso than
the old system.

One standard mobile path will be WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.  It will work
everywhere.  Those wishing to not generate QRM will use ZONE1-1,ZONE2-2.

All they need to know is which zone suits them best.  Better yet, ZONEing

keeps packets short, they arent lengthened each hop like with the WIDEn-N

path, thus saving bandwidth.

> There would still be interzone QRM, even if it was not digipeated, as
> the packet would still be heard by the neighbouring digipeater(s).

If its not repeated then its one less heard be the next digi.

Dion.

http://www.opera.com/mail/