[OZAPRS] European v US new paradigmand pathlimiting +confusion....

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Thu Nov 2 10:41:59 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 09:32 +1030, Andrew McDade wrote:
> Gday all,
>
> What are the requirements with regards to the number of path hops we
would
> require Nationally. I would see this being a bit of a comprise so as to
> maintain a standard.
> There is talk about a maximum of two hops .. i.e.. using WIDE2-2 for
home
> stations and perhaps WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 for mobiles.  Will this suffice for
all
> of Australia or do we look at 3 hops WIDE3-3 for home stations and
> WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 for mobiles.
>
> Points taken regarding Not utilizing SSn-n , as Ron mentions, this would

> certainly be a problem for networks close to state borders etc.
>
> What about a zone or region based system used in conjunction with the
> generic WIDEn-n system. If we want to cellularize the network, if indeed

> this is what we want to do, then probably the best way to do it would be
> use a zone or region based system. ie.. Utilize the first 4 letters of
the
> major centre containing the regions Igate. ie. ADEL3-3, MILD3-3,
MELB3-3,
> HOBA3-3 etc etc. Home stations , digipeaters and mobiles that don't
> frequently travel out of the region would ( could ) utilize the path
> ZONE3-3. Mobiles and portable stations that are traveling nation wide
could
> use the generic path of WIDE3-3 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2. New aprs users,
> utilizing information gleaned from the net etc. would probably utilize
> WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 or WIDE3-3 which would work anywhere  all of the time.
The
> zonen-n based paths could be gradually implemented within each region
and
> would probably be utilized initially by more established aprs users.

Maybe the Zone based system could also be not "mandatory", and
implemented as time and regional activity needed.

> Its something to have a think about anyway

Well worth thinking about.  I like it.

And the bike (VK3ECV-9) will be out and about from Friday until Tuesday.
Marlene and I are spending 4 nights at Mt Beauty.

Regards,
Ron
vk3ecv