[OZAPRS] Igates etc.

Norm, VK2XCI vk2xci at aanet.com.au
Thu Jul 13 13:23:51 EST 2006

Hi Horst,
  When I was resident at Mount Hope, QF27wd Central NSW, the only HF
gate I could reliably access was Ron VK3ECV (VK3WRM?)in Mildura. On the
other hand, 40m ZL stations were a dime a dozen.! I was running an
experimental VHF to HF gate to try and get better VHF to TCP/IP
coverage. The idea was that HF would replace the internet link...
outback VHF would go to via my 2m digi/gate, then via HF to a gate,then
to the internet. That way my family here in Mildura could keep an eye on
me while I did the Mail Run in the outback.

Worked well while there was HF coverage. both on 30 and 40. During the
day, 40m via ZL was the most reliable path.

Horst Leykam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Point taken, Norm. A better way would be to lobby for all classes of
licence
> to have access to 30m.
> I also don't quite see the point of those restrictions. 20m used to be
the
> sacred cow that only those "who dun it" could access.
> As for trying different bands, it's been done and in my opinion, 30m is
> still the best and until it gets real busy, there is no point in
> fragmenting. I would imagine the current gateway operators would be
loath to
> add, say 40 or 80m gateways, as it would tie up more radios and
antennas. As
> such it would just create uncertainty as to where one should beacon. My
> experience gained during extensive outback touring is that 30m is very
> reliable indeed, anywhere I have travelled. (I have not been far west of
> Alice Springs, so I don't know what the coverage is like there)
>
> Cheers
> Horst, VK2HL
>

> This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
have
> received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return
e-mail
> and then delete the original e-mail. Horst Leykam has collected your
> business contact details for dealing with you in your business capacity.
> More information about how we handle your personal information,
including
> your right of access is contained at WWW.ASIO.GOV.AU.

12/07/2006

--
Norm, VK2XCI,
Mildura, The Wintersun City