[OZAPRS] Ozaprs Digest, Vol 11, Issue 14

Mike Zwingl oe3mzc oe3mzc at oevsv.at
Thu Jul 13 17:57:06 EST 2006

Hi all,
tnx for this discussion, which is very helpful to me as a travelller and
tourist in WA
I totally agree with Tony:

> Ive often thought that a couple of 20m gateways would be good but the
only
> coverage we would pick up that we dont have covered now really well
would
> be
> nothern VK6 and VK8..

and it would be better to have additional RXonly HF gates in DARWIN and
PERTH and/or ALICE on 30m.
This would give perfect coverage to OZ.

However, I will try it life in a couple of days as it stands today on 30m
and we will see how it works from WA and NT.
My equipment will be a 3m whip antenna on the 4WD with SMARTUNER237 and
FT100 with new DSPTNC from SCS.

A problem we have in Europe is, that many GATES also transmit on HF
(digipeating or gate for VHF-HF), which causes
the channel to be overcrowded and very difficult for mobile stations ! So
RXonly HF gate with internet connection is preferable.
Giving the shortcomings of  300Baud HF Packet ( AX25,FSK) short packets
are
extremely important. Use of Mic-E compression and "send beacon text in
seperate packet" should be default settings.

So please keep up the good spirit in this group and as many HF Gates as
possible on 30m as I am starting my outback tour in WA from 22.July till
September.
73 de Mike
VK3FP/6