[OZAPRS] Ozaprs Digest, Vol 11, Issue 14

Tony Hunt wavetel at bigpond.com
Thu Jul 13 10:21:28 EST 2006

Regards 40m .. Yes I too thought it had great potential for APRS so I ran
HF gate on there for a while and tried it out a bit in my travels. I think
Andrew 5EX also tried some 40m APRS via this Gate.. I am pretty sure I
have
commented on this before but after running it for a week or so and taking
it
on its own merrits I decided frankly that 30m was the go. We had some
strange propagation happening at times on 40m as well which seemed to make
it less predictable/reliable in a sense. It was dissapointing.. During the
test time I think there were ZL Gates on air but they never decoded my
posits from memory.

The one big issue was the noise floor situation on 40m in mobiles and also
for the gateways. This was one big variable. Ive also noticed a similar
thing on 30m. Purely atmospheric noise where the noise floor varies day to
day even though you are in the middle of nowhere well away from power
lines
and other influences.. I remember trying 80m with a VK7 station and we
decoded each other every couple of days.. It was hard yakka..

Ive often thought that a couple of 20m gateways would be good but the only
coverage we would pick up that we dont have covered now really well would
be
nothern VK6 and VK8..

We could divide our resources and put some 20m gates on or just put more
30m
gates on air in places like VK6/8 as mentioned. Personnaly I prefer the
30m
option. The more gateways there are on one frequency the greater the
chance
of getting a posit through.. At the present time its not exactly rush hour
on 30m with Trackers..

Tony Hunt  VK5AH