[OZAPRS] VK HF Gates

Michael Carey michaelcarey at internode.on.net
Fri Jul 14 07:58:32 EST 2006

I whipped up a quick 3.5mm to DIN lead last night after work and set up
my MFJ-1278 on 300bd HF packet and tuned my Kenwood TS-50 to 10.147.1
MHz. I'm looking at the serial output of the TNC with hyperterm.
In 12 hours I've received one VK4DMI-4 packet and heaps of VK3MY-4
packets throughout the night. I'm in Port Lincoln, I have yet to work
out path lengths. I'm gonna leave it set up for a few days and log what
happens.
I've been thinking of setting up an HF I-Gate, (my wife hates it when I
get thinking like this!). It would probably be RX only because I was
going to get it 20 Km out of town at a friends farm, using an old Codan
X2 HF, link the TNC back to my QTH with a serial over ethernet solution
via a community 802.11b wireless network. I have a surplus Moonraker
Delta antenna (brand new!) that could be "aimed" North West into the
heart of VK6.
Regards,
Michael.
VK5ZEA

Richard Hoskin wrote:

> Over the weekend I monitored several stations on HF.
>
> With a bit of investigation I found that the following stations were
running
> HF Gates and directly or indirectly feeding HF Posits into the ARPS-IS
> system.
>

> VK7DC, VK4DMI, VK3JFK, VK3MY, VK5AH, VK2HL, ZL3GR, VK4HAB, VK2KCM,
VK5ATN