additional HF-gates for my 4WD-Tour,pse?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jul 10 23:34:37 EST 2006

>>> "Mike Zwingl oe3mzc" <oe3mzc at oevsv.at> 07/08/06 3:18 AM >>>
>I am still looking for some additional HF-Igates on 10MHZ or 14MHz
>to relay our APRS position from our 4WD tour from Perth to Darwin
>and Alice during 22.7. till 2.September.

I know this is not the answer to your request, but this is just a reminder
to wilderness travelers in general not to overlook the fact that they can
easily be tracked 6 times a day by simply running a 2m APRS system
running once every 2 minutes on the ISS packet uplink.  Of course, it
will not give a smooth track (only 6 hits a day), but it is great for
wilderness travelers that simply need to get an occassional position or
status or email out during an extended trip.  And is simple being just
2m FM.

Just set the uplink to 145.990, and set the path VIA ARISS.

Presumably somone in Australia is running a packet downlink
into the APRS Igate system.  Or anyone  can just set a 2m
rig at their home QTH and it will receive the posits direct
to their PC.

In any case, unattended beaconing via the ISS digipeater
is typically not welcome.  But sometimes you wonder how many
there are, since so many people seem to be on EVERY pass 24/7
yet one can never seem to get a message form them.  "lights on,
no one home"...

But in the case of the wilderness traveler, he *is* attended,
he *is* doing a special event, his period of operation is limited
and he *does* need the communicatinos and there is no other
way to get it in many cases and so the less than 1%
of channel uplink capacity should be OK for this application in my
opinion.

PCSAT2 is also ideal for this mission, but we are not sure if there
are any PCSAT2 igates in Australia.  The main one down under
we see on every pass is in NewZealand and it would only see
one possible pass a day in the eastern outback.  ANd also its
downlink is 10 dB weaker than the ISS digipeater...
GOod luck!

Bob, WB4APR