[OZAPRS] VK3 APRS News.

Richard Hoskin (VK3JFK) vk3jfk at wia.org.au
Mon Jan 23 22:56:29 EST 2006

Gday,

The North East IGate VK3KAW is currently off air. Its owner is away on
holidays until next week.

Geoff VK2XGJ has got the Cyclone icons and predictions for Australia
working
again. If you have been looking at an Australian map recently you would
have
seen cyclone Darryl off the north west coast. Thanks Geoff!

To keep you informed of the bush fire situation Peter VK3TBN has been
keeping the APRS fire objects up to date. Unfortunately there have been a
large number of bush fires in the south east of VK over the past few
weeks.
We would dearly like to have an automated system to provide this important
information to you. If anyone wishes to assist with some coding to provide
automated fire reporting please let email Peter (vk3tbn 'at' yahoo.com) or
myself.

There has been no word from ACMA to date on the licensing changes we
require
so that the frequency change project can move forward. There has been some
monitoring of propagation and conditions between VKs 1, 2, 3, 5 & 7 though
and it appears that we will need a much better national approach to the
coordination of digipeater management, operator path settings and beacon
rates etc before the frequency change can take place. I've seen at least
one
VK2 station with a path of WIDE,WIDE,RELAY. Some others are running paths
of
RELAY,WIDE4-4 or have beacon rates set way too high. It's time for a bit
of
operator education before we get our selves into a mess.

Cheers,

Richard

VK3JFK