[OZAPRS] Painting Aluminium

Norm, VK2XCI vk2xci at aanet.com.au
Sat Feb 25 08:42:34 EST 2006

Darryl Smith wrote:
> There are several ways to prep aluminium for painting...
>
> 1. You can use etch primer. This is in a spray can, and I think it goes
by
> the name galmet
>
> 2. Use a chromium based spray can
>
> 3. use Aluprep and scrub the metal. Then used some alodine to cook the
> metal. Then spray the metal with AzkoNobel 2-pack epoxy.
>
> I can assure you the third option is the best...
>
> Darryl

Third option may be best but not easiest. TAKE GREAT CARE using 2-Pack
epoxy. It's bad shit! Carcinogenic and all! I lost a very good friend to
cancer, traced directly to his work as a aircraft surface finisher.

If its only a casual job, use a spray can etch primer as in 1. (Chromium
based spray is also "not good" for you.). WEAR A PARTICLE MASK AT LEAST!!

If it's a big job, get it done at a professional spray shop as in 3,
'specially if it has to be outdoors

Norm, VK2XCI

> ---------
> Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
> Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 Int] - 02 9618 6459
> www.radio-active.net.au/blog/ - www.radio-active.net.au/web/tracking/

Norm, VK2XCI,
Mildura, The Wintersun City
QF15bt