[OZAPRS] Four APRS satelites in orbit! WEB page (Richard Hoskin)

Tony Hunt wavetel at bigpond.com
Tue Dec 19 16:39:14 EST 2006

Just a bit confused.. Maybee Bob B will be able to confirm this.. The
PSK31
transponder on RAFT is either on 29.400-403 or its on 28.120 ? .. There
seems to be a few web pages on this but various frequencies are given.

Theres a licencing issue with 28.120 etc it seems I think.. Personally I
would prefer to see it stay in the satellite band but I see the advantages
for some licence classes in the US for the lower frequencies..

So is RAFT going to be on 29.400-403 ?? Its just unclear now its turned
out
with so many web  pages differently put..

I am ready to go with PSK31 shortly when it becomes available but I fear
it
will not be a mode activated very often due to power consumption.. At
least
we can prove the concept for future launches.. Lets do that at least..

I will have the satgate running here on the day of deployment gating
everything off 145.825 to the Internet feed. Looking for telemetry etc..

Tony VK5AH

> With the launch of STS-116, we now have just added a total of FOUR
amateur
> Radio Satellites on their way to orbit.  These are in addition to the
> PCSAT-1 and ARISS systems.  So now is the time to play APRS satellites
while
> they last (it will only be a few months)...
>

> ANDE MAA - packet digipeater and packet-to-voice
>
> RAFT     - packet digipeater and packet-to-voice
>
> NMARS    - Navy Marincorps Mars packet and Voice repeater
>
> FCAL     - Cubesat telemetry system
>

> We call NMARS an amateur satellite too because it is operated by Amateur
> Radio Volulnteers in the Military Affiliate Radio System.  It is on MARS
> frequency and only authorized MARS operators can use it, but they are
all
> duly licensed radio amateurs too.
>

> These satellites will not last long due to their very low deployment
> altitude, but they should provide a new opportunity to do experiments
and
> make packet contacts.  This is especially true since ANDE, RAFT, PCSAT-1
all
> operate on the same frequency and can replay packets between themselves.
> And if we are lucky, we might get the ISS to QSY to the same frquency
for