[OZAPRS] SveeSix mounting/power

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Sat Aug 19 09:09:37 EST 2006

Gday Hamish,

The Trimble SVeeSix takes about 3 days to flatten my car battery if I have
not used the car (ford wagon). As I use my car most days I leave the
SVeeSix
on 24/7 during the week. To keep up the charge on the battery I found I
need
to have the engine running for more than 1/2 an hr a day.

The 9V battery will last you 4 to 6 months in the SVeeSix. I go sick of
changing the 9V so replaced it with a 3V Lithium which is still going and
has been in the GPS for about 3 years.

The GPS draws about 200mA + whatever current the active antenna uses.
The RAM Backup voltage can be anywhere between +3.5 to + 14 volts DC.

Acquisition Rates when stationary.
- Momentary signal interruption 2 sec.
* Momentary power interruption 30 sec with battery backup.
- Cold Start 2 - 5 minutes.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK