[OZAPRS] AX25 under Debian sending non APRS packets

Craig Turner craig at craigturner.id.au
Sat Apr 29 11:54:41 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm running the latest version of Debian and using an TNC-X. I have
configured AX25 in accordance with the AX 25 How To (I think!!) and am
running xastir.

I want to run APRSD, so that I can have a headless box relaying APRS data
within my home network.

At the moment its all working almost perfectly. I can only use the AX0
interface as root, so at the moment I have to run xastir as root to access
the radio port. I am not sure how to resolve this at the moment, it may be
because I am starting the ax25 interface from a console script as root.
Anyway, thats not my main problem...

xastir transmits and recieves fine, but occasionally (appears to be about
10 minute intervals, but not 100% sure) the TNC sends a packet that goes
for about 20 seconds or so.

I've managed to decode the packets and they are:

VK1HCT-1>QST>UI,?
  IP: UDP, Source: 192.168.1.1, Dest: 192.168.1.255, Len: 252
VK1HCT-1>QST>UI,?,CC
  IP: UDP, Source: 192.168.1.1, Dest: 192.168.1.255, Len: 33
VK1HCT-1>QST>UI,?,CC
  IP: UDP, Source: 192.168.1.1, Dest: 192.168.1.255, Len: 235

192.168.1.1 being the IP number I have assigned to AX0 port. It looks to
me like some process is either pinging the port or sending a beacon. At
this point APRSD isn't running.

Any suggestions for where to start looking? I want to be able to leave the
station on 24hrs a day, but at the moment I don't want it to congest the
network with these packets.

Regards
Craig
VK1HCT