[OZAPRS] [aprssig] APRS resolution

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Apr 16 08:01:05 EST 2006

>>> "Andrew Rich" <vk4tec at tech-software.net> 04/15/06 5:45 PM >>>
>When I use UI-VIEW i can set my position
>to 6 figures eg 27.34.44
>When I look at the GPS stream i can see 8 figures
>What is the 'best' resolution aprs can return ?

APRS was originally designed to hundredths of a minute.
or about 60 feet.  Then in the 1998 time frame we
introduced the compressed format good to 1 foot.
And of course the original NMEA sentences are also
supported giving precision to about 8 inches if the
GPS uses  the 4 digits of precision you reffer  to.

Also in about 2003 we added the !DAO! proposal
in APRS 1.2 to give normal APRS formats including
objects the added precision to below 1 foot also.
But few softwares have implemented it.

de Wb4APR, Bob