[OZAPRS] 30m??

Tony Hunt wavetel at bigpond.com
Fri May 27 23:09:58 EST 2005

After trying a comparison and some tests over a month or 2 a while back
between 30 and 40m my conclusion is that 30m is still the better option..
Several reasons..

I set up a 40m gate and also we had some others who moved across for a
while as a fair comaprison.. The biggest thing I found that make 30m
better was the noise floor .. 40m seems to be noisier as a rule. Both in
the car and for the gateways..
This amounts to a better S/N ratio and as a rule a better decode on 30m..
We found the VK4 boys are not much good to us on 40m as they have very
high noise floors at times up there and the paths dont seem to work as
well either for that sort of stretch..

If we use 40m at close range under about 800km then its got the edge.. It
all depends what your trying to do ..
Here into pretty well all of VK5 west of Keith the 3MY Gate blasts through
with great regularity on 30m and is a very reliable path.

Tony VK5AH