[OZAPRS] 80m gateway back on air for further test!

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Mon Mar 7 22:52:05 EST 2005

Hi Scott,

It’s good to see you operating a Gate on HF but please don’t send VHF
traffic to HF (unless you are testing for a very short time) as you will
clag the HF channel as 1200bd VHF packet is 4 times the volume as 300bd HF
packet. See the Guided

Australasian APRS HF Operations Guide.

As HF APRS is becoming more popular in Australasia I have put together a
set of guild lines that we all need to adhere to. This will allow the
successful long-term use of the ARPS HF 10Mhz network as it’s popularity
continues to grow.

The Do’s and Don’ts for APRS HF.

Do’s

1.	Do consider all other users of the HF network. Remember you are
sharing this single frequency with hundreds of other operators.
2.	Do use only a path of GATE,WIDE
3.	Do Net (set your frequency) to the Primary Net server VK3MY-4. Or
if you can not here VK3MY-4 use a secondary APRS HF Gate server.
4.	Do user a SSID of  -4 if your station is an HF to VHF (or IS)
Gate. (Refer to the SSID Guide)
5.	Do user a SSID of  -15 if your Mobile Station transmits on HF.
(Refer to the SSID Guide)
6.	Do keep your packet size to a minimum. Use the Mic-e or APRS
compressed format and no or minimal information in your status text.
7.	Do set your beacon time to 10 minutes or more. ( The primary and
secondary net stations are the Only station that will  beacon at more
frequent intervals)
8.	Do use the path of ECHO Only for tuning your radio into the Net.
9.	Do use the following TNC settings for your success. TXDelay 400ms,
PACket LENgth 128, SLOTtime 300ms PERsistance 64ms.

Don’ts

1.	Don’t Digipeat any packets on HF (the only exception is for tuning
your radio).
2.	Don’t transmit Home station positions on HF. Only Gates and Mobile
stations need to transmit position information.
3.	Don’t feed VHF or IGate data to HF
4.	Don’t allow your station to operate as a digipeater

Cheers

Richard

VK3JFK

  _____