[OZAPRS] HF Gates and Sat Gates...

Norm McMillan njmcmillan at bigpond.com
Fri Jan 14 23:53:59 EST 2005

Richard Hoskin (VK3JFK) wrote:

> Gday,
>
> I’m about to update the aprs.net.au HF web pages and was wanting to
> put the latest information it.
>
> Can you let me know if you are running an HF Gate for APRS and on what
> frequency, times and location.
>
> Also I was thinking of including a National APRS Satellite information
> page.
>
> So if you are running a SatGate please let me know what Satellites you
> are gating, the path to use to get to the local IGate and your location.
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard
>
> VK3JFK

G'day Richard and all,
VK2XCi is an experimental VHF to HF gate as well as HF digi. at this
stage no gate to internet. I'm using UIview and AGWPE.HF modem is a
soundcaed under AGWPE, VHF is a Tiny 2 in Kiss mode. Alias's are VK2XCI,
WIDE , Gate. This is subject to change as I play. sorry experiment.

VHF node is on 144.700 which is the old AARG packet digi frequency. HF
is on 10.1476. It is operational during "manned" hours... generally 0600
to 2200 local... when I can keep the HF rig on frequency. Location is
QF27wd

The initial purpose was to gate my local VHF tracker to HF thence to the
internet so that my familly can track me via the internet as I travel
the outback. Operationally this has not proved overly successfull as the
HF rig drifts too much. As a proof of concept it is an unqualified
success. There is little chance of the VHF traffic overwhelming the HF
network due to the "odd" VHF input frequency and the sheer lack of APRS
hams in the Bush.