[OZAPRS] APRS SSID's please use recommend one listed below.

Alan Wallace (ZL1AMW) alan at wallace.net.nz
Sun Sep 19 16:21:43 EST 2004

I have been following this thread with mounting concern over the past few
days.

The APRS spec, in section 20 sets out three methods of designating what
icon is to be displayed for your beacon, and the SSID number is but one of
these.  The spec goes on to clearly state the preferred method is a text
character within the information field of the beacon, which corresponds to
one entry in a symbols table (which can provide up to seventy symbols).

The SSID method is appropriate for those running trackers or stations with
less “smarts” (eg the pacom picopacket that I run occasionally) that do
not have the ability to insert a text character in the information field.
For all others, the SSID method has been replaced by the information filed
method.

Some of us operate a number of APRS stations simultaneously, so we have to
use different SSID.  I run three home stations, one further fixed station
from my office occasionally during working hours, and one or two mobiles.
I also operate a separate packet station for BBS operation, which needs
another SSID (as this is on the same frequency) and on occasions test with
one or two more stations on-air.  I therefore often have 8 SSIDs on-air
simultaneously, so simply cannot try to fit this within the very
restrictive category list below.  All my APRS beacons are clearly
identified with the appropriate text character in the information field,
(so others will display appropriate icons) with the exception of the
“dumb” tracker, which is SSID -9, so correctly displays as a car.

In summary, I suggest that while it may be worthwhile keeping a list like
this on the wall for the very rare occasions that you may need to transmit
a beacon with a device that can send APRS location information, but cannot
sent a symbol character in the information field, let’s not suggest that
everyone needs to use these SSID numbers for their normal operations –
they are too restrictive.

I look forward to more comment on this topic,

Alan ZL1AMW

Alan Wallace ZL1AMW     Email: alan at wallace.net.nz
14 Acacia Cres         Phone +64 7 8438738
Hamilton
New Zealand.
Talk Around the World - Amateur Radio -
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\alan.wallace\Application%20Data\Mic
rosoft\Signatures\www.amateur.radio.org.nz> www.amateur.radio.org.nz
UI-View - the fun way to enjoy amateur radio -
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\alan.wallace\Application%20Data\Mic
rosoft\Signatures\www.zl1amw.wallace.net.nz> www.zl1amw.wallace.net.nz