[OZAPRS] Xastir

Peter Watkins poida_3429 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 09:15:44 EST 2004

I'm attempting to get Xastir up and running for a
Linux installation.

I have PII/266MHz with Windows ME and Debian Linux
(woody) installed.

On ME, I have UI-View ver 2.3 and this is connected to
a Kantronics KPC-3 while in KISS mode thru' COM2. I
can transmit and receive APRS with this config. Cool.

I'm also interested in trying APRS with Linux. I've
installed the Debian Xastir package and tried to run
Xastir but, after configuring the serial TNC and
running Xastir, I get an error message saying "Hard
Lock" for /dev/ttyS1. I've rechecked the com. port
details and these are the same as under UI-View. The
one difference is that the TNC is not in KISS mode
with Xastir (NEWUSER, I think). But looking at the
Xastir startup script, I don't think that this is the
case. I also changed the attribs for xastir just in
case that this was the issue but still no change. If
anyone can assist, I'd be grateful.

73s, Peter, VK3TKK