[OZAPRS] TH-D7 & Oziexplorer

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Mon Oct 11 19:48:19 EST 2004

1. You can not get NMEA data from the PC port on a TH-D7A - it is a TNC
port
2. You get the error saying "Can't communicate with GPS" because you are
trying to go through you D7 to get to your GPS

Mate RS-232 is just a signalling swinging high and low like anything else.

Here is what I would do:-

1. Make a Y cable, so it feeds both the D7 (into the GPS port), and the
other goes to the serial port of the PC.
2. Make sure that if OZIEXPLODER needs to "talk back to" the GPS, that you
include both the TX and RX line to the GPS Y cable

If you can not make cables forget it.

BTW there is a signal that goes "back" to the GPS from the THD7, the $GWPL
that "plots" waypoints inside your GPS.

Confused ? email me off list

 G,day all , as  just curious I would like to run my laptop with
Oziexplorer occasionally with my D7 and Etrex.

I have been told I can get NMEA data from the PC port on the D7 to the PC
, but not sure of any other details..
The D7 and Etrex run perfectly , but when I include the laptop I get an
error message saying "cant communicate with GPS" or something
to that effect..The problem is I need to get the NMEA from the D7 to the
laptop , but it wont work for some reason..The cable I use  is the one
I program the D7 with , so it's OK as far as RS-232 goes , but no go with
NMEA..I think the problem is possibly in the Oziexplorer setup , but I'm
buggered if I can find it.

Any help appreciated  & 73 to all , de Phil vk2tph