[OZAPRS] Bad signal on 30m

Norm McMillan njmcmillan at bigpond.com
Sun Nov 28 14:35:59 EST 2004

Terry Neumann wrote:
> Richter, Mike W wrote:
>
>> Getting RF Feedback using a TinyTrak should not be a surprise - the
>> inputs and outputs go direct to the chip without ANY form of filtering
-
>> I suggest putting a 1k resistor in series and a 0.01uF to ground on all
>> pins that run off the board.
>> Mike VK2BMM

...snipped...

> G'day Mike and others,
>
> This is good advice.   I went even further as I thought (perhaps in the
> wrong direction).   I used minature rf chokes (from Jaycar) on all the
> significant in/outputs from the board, and built mine TT3 board  into a
> diecast box as well.

I have had this thought in the back of what passes for my mind for a
couple of days (Its 41degC here and the mind is a little rubbery!!!)
Terry did you stick with the DB9 connectors or use something smaller?
(Mini Din???)

> This unit has been used in both of our vehicles on 30 metres and on 2
> metres and appears to be free of  RF issues - so far.
>
> It may have been overkill, but I'm a farmer, and agricultural
> engineering principles invariably find their way into all situations 8-)

Beats me you didn't weld up a plate steel box out of an old square water
tank ;)

> Is there any merit in using rf chokes as opposed to using resistors, or
> vice versa??

RF chokes will have a lower DC resistance.
Resistors will carry a larger current before the smoke escapes.
RF chokes will form a resonant cct with the bypass capacitor.
Resistors will likewise form an RC timing network at some frequency.
RF chokes are around $0.70 ea, Resistors around $0.03.
Guess the last line gets it!

--
Norm, VK2XCI,
Voice of The Edge of The Outback.