[OZAPRS] Aprs Server Question

Tony Hunt wavetel at iname.com
Sat Nov 20 13:12:41 EST 2004

Hmm .. Not sure what Andrew meant by  "Keep alive silly" .. Was it that
Norm
was silly or the Keep alive concept was silly ?? Perhaps its a new form of
KISS (keep it simple stupid) .. Now we have KAS similar to "Look alive" in
human terms..

In the past I have had a forced disconnect at times when logged onto the
server with Uiview and on logging back in Ive looked at the server status
page and found I am logged in twice .. Clearly it didnt clear the crashed
connection down.. So the keep alive concept seems pretty sound to me..
Also
I suspect with Uiview if you just close the programe without actually
logging off the server it does not clear the server connection down..

I guess you have to balance that with the fact the alot of folks use
filters
on the feed to make sure the bandwidth costs on there ISP accounts are not
exceeded or pushed up to high.. So maybee a 5 min check on that would be
the
go.. Its all about fine tuning it in the end isnt it !

Geoff .. A question.. Can you place a fixed limit on the number of unacked
frames from the server ? So say it clears the connection after so many
retries .. Or does it just try once and then kill the connection ? Its
just
that I am wondering on some internet feeds if this will create a logon no
ack (slow ack) kill connection then client automatic logon again cycle in
non stop way which is pretty painful ..

73 Tony Hunt VK5AH