APRS server set up. was Re: [OZAPRS] Cleanup of ports on VKAPRS-IS

Norm McMillan njmcmillan at bigpond.com
Thu Nov 18 08:39:44 EST 2004

Terry Neumann wrote:
> Thanks Tony and Graham,
>
> I'm presently in harvest mode which excludes all other activities (well
> most of them).
>
> When the chaos dies down I'll have another try.
>
> Thanks again,
> Terry
> VK5ATN

G'day Terry,
"Harvest Mode" is on here too! Isn't it a bit early for you guys???
Beats me why they choose November here, its the wetest, windiest,
stormiest, hottest most unpredictable month of the year!

Already had headers stopped one day for fire weather, followed by
thunderstorms which cost another day to dry out. December is usually
much more amenable. Hot sure, but not windy or raining!

Anyway, to the point

In UI-view32...

click <Setup> on the menu
Click <APRS server set up>
In the <Select one or more servers> box, click on any server.
Hit <Insert> on the keyboard
Type in "first.aprs.net.au:14580" and hit <Enter>
Select this server by clicking in it's box.
Deselect other servers the same way,
Make sure <APRS server logon required> has a check in the box.
If you've regitered UI-view, put the Validation number in the box
<Enable auto reconnect>... your own preference

The important bit...
In the <Extra log-on text> box put something like...
"filter m/300" without the quotes
This sets the user defined filter to 300km range, only stations within
that range will be downloaded from the server. The range is completely
up to you.

Other filter possibilities are available, I haven't tried them yet!

Click <OK> to close the box

Now, to connect to the server...
Click on <Action> on the menu bar
Click on <Connect to APRS server>
Reply yes to the logon prompt
UI-view will connect to the server and show all stations within that
range as they come up.

Thats it! other settings like auto refresh etc you'll have to sort out
yourself. I chose auto everything off!

Enjoy!

--
Norm, VK2XCI,