[OZAPRS] HF Bands.

Noel Rowe noel-r at clear.net.nz
Mon May 31 08:10:52 EST 2004

A couple of comments, if I may:

Terry said:

>Incidently, I left my tnc on a couple a nights ago.  The  MH list
>showed three stations from France.   I'm revising my earlier
>observations :-)

And I agree that reviewing each morning (I use a separate terminal screen
for the HF port's traffic) what has been heard overnight is one of the
joys of HF APRS - the thrill of the chase, as it were.

I was a bit disappointed when I was told not to post here the new "DX"
calls decoded, thinking after that, I must be the only one interested in
what was being heard outside of  VK/ZL.

Some thoughts on 40 metres:

Rather than split the HF traffic in two - 30m and 40m - are we not better
to stick to one band (30m, as the 40m frequency is not an internationally
common one) and concentrate on the geographical spread of the receiving
stations.  The beacon is (almost) always going to come down somewhere!  If
there are enough "somewheres" that listen and gate to the internet, then
surely that is better than splitting the receiving points into those on
30, and those on 40?  It whould be a big ask if it was going to be
suggested the gating stations listen on both 30 and 40 for 24/7, and with
different time zones a change time isnt an option.

Our i-gates, at least in my area, are usually set so that any ZL call
"heard" through the internet is then outputted to VHF.  So it is
transparent where the beacon, say via HF, was received and decoded.  Could
be anywhere in the world.  I am working on getting my car set up for HF.
If  I am HF mobile, and some of my beacons are only heard and then gated
in VK, but are then in ZL put out onto local VHF, it is surely "mission
accomplished"!  And can we help to make that work in reverse?

Noel, ZL3GR.