[OZAPRS] Digipeating

Andrew McDade amcdade at senet.com.au
Mon May 31 09:00:15 EST 2004

Gday all,

Regarding the points raised with HF digipeting. I believe that all HF
stations should not digipete on HF via the alias of GATE. While there are
some valuable reasons why this could be an asset to mobile HF ops. (eg.
being able to hear a response to ones posit transmissions). There are
better
mechanisms avaialble than this. All HF gateways should, where possible run
an alias of ECHO. This gives the mobile HF operator a means of gaining
some
sort of audible feedback , that a post at least made it to a gateway. I
run
a tinytrak 3 in my landcruiser and it has the capability of switching
between two preset configurations. I have currently got configuration 1.
set
up with a path of GATE,WIDE and configuration 2. setup with
ECHO,GATE,WIDE.
all other parameters between the two configurations are the same. This now
gives me the opportunity to "test" the band conditions with the flick of a
switch on the TT3. If Im hearing HF stations responding to my ECHO path ,
can then switch the TT3 back to its normal setting of GATE,WIDE for normal
running. This makes for a very quick and easy way to get the valuable
feedback required. Ie. the number of responses to ECHO can be monitored as
well as return signal strengths from "any" number of HF gateways within
the
HF propogation range.

The trouble with having specific HF gateways digipeting on HF with the
GATE
alias is that from a mobiles perspective we never really know which
gateway
we're accessing at any particular point in time.So where you might have
one
HF gateway do the HF digi thing, it may not necessarilly be accessbile due
to propogation. So the mobile HF op will be in a situation where he wont
get
any audible response to his beacons, but could still be making it through
another non HF digi'ing gateway. This wouild possibly lead to a false
sense
of whats really going on.

Enough from me for now ...

cheers .. Andrew .., VK5EX