[OZAPRS] Richard's comments following on mine (and more) ...

Warren VK3BYD vk3byd at wia.org.au
Sat May 29 00:01:40 EST 2004

Hi Tony,

> Last night and all of today I left the gear running on 30m. All day Ive
had
> 4DMI-4 3MY-4 and 3BYD-12 running about on the HF map.. Very good sigs
here
> today.. Looking at the internet feed back from our Igate though I have
seen
> nothing from myself VK5AH-12 on HF today until sundown ..Likewise
VK3BYD-12
> nothing period.. Its interesting to see VK3BYD-15 pop up late in the day
via
> the internet feed when -12 didnt appear at all all day long although I
had
> him here on my HF RX map.. 3BYD-15 seems to be on 144.900 VHF from the
path
> on findu..

I run both HF (BYD-12) and VHF (BYD-15) when I am mobile.
They normal run the same beacon rates of 3 minutes mobile and 30 minutes
stationary

I generally only hear the VK4's during the start and end of the day, with
the
VK5's,
3WRM and the VK2 appearing during the middle of the day.
You are quite right I am too close to 3MY to get beacons through. Even my
home
station only hears me for a very small radius.

> Its the same as VHF SATGates on APRS really.. Just like Bob B has been
> saying for a while.. The more Gates that are running the more reliable
it
> will be.. Thats the strength of a well constructed APRS network when
there
> is good redundancy..
Not just more gates, it would be nice to have 40mx to choice from as well

73
Warren