[OZAPRS] Re: The Guide ....

Terry Neumann tfn at rbe.net.au
Thu May 27 09:50:46 EST 2004

Hullo Richard and others,

Some observations from someone who is on the outer edge of this mode,
and which may or may not generate discussion......

Perhaps I'm being fussy but comments were invited, so here goes....

snip

>As HF APRS is becoming more popular in Australasia I have put together a
set
>of guild lines that we all need to adhere to. This will allow the
successful
>long-term use of the ARPS HF 10Mhz network as it's popularity continues
>grow.
>

>The Do's and Don'ts for APRS HF.
>

>Do's
>

>1.	Do consider all other users of the HF network. Remember you are
>sharing this single frequency with hundreds of other operators.

I have no quarrel with the sentiment in this point.   However, the
"hundreds of other operators" worries me.....   My MH list runs to about
5 or 6 stations most days.    One day there might be "hundreds", but I
don't think there ever will for reasons which are outside of this
immediate consideration.

Snip

>Don'ts
>

>1.	Don't Digipeat any packets on HF (the only exception is for tuning
>your radio).
>2.	Don't transmit Home station positions on HF. Only Gates and Mobile
>stations need to transmit position information.

I think I know the reasons for this last point (2), but it certainly
seems to defeat the purpose of the whole exercise.  What is the point of
transmitting at all if the position information is not given?

(I have similar concerns with earlier discussions which suggested that
mobile stations shouldn't transmit speed and direction, but only
position.   Fact is that stations who are transmitting speed and
direction in addition to position are getting their message through, and
it makes for much more interesting viewing).

This mode will never attract significant numbers of other users if we
don't make it as interesting as we can whilst people who might be
interested look in at the SWL stage.   It's about positions on a map at
this early stage; it's the next development beyond the MH list.    At
some point in the future perhaps perhaps we can filter down the amount
of info in our beacons, but surely not just yet.

These are my own observations as one who is interested, doesn't always
appreciate the finer points of the discussion, but remains interested -
for the time being anyway.   However if it wasn't for Warren's speed and
heading information which I see on most days I probably wouldn't
bother.   Now I know that this last point is outside of those raised by
Richard in his guide, but  it's related by implication of earlier
discussions, and the essential thrust of what is being reinforced by
other points in the guide.

It's not easy writing a guide Richard; thanks for doing so.   If the
points I have raised bring out some constructive discussion I'll be more
than satisfied.

73
Terry
VK5ATN