[OZAPRS] HF digipeating issues/Alias etc

Noel Rowe noel-r at clear.net.nz
Thu May 27 14:14:38 EST 2004

Just to clarify something, after Tony said:

>Noels sugestion of running 2 versions of Ui-view is fine and there are a
few
>stations that I know doing this.. It works if you can afford the
resources
>on the machine.. Just remember to set up different SSIDs on each programe
>otherwise you will really confuse the poor things..

In my scheme of things, I must emphasize that the second UI-View version
would be set up to not be transmitting anything, except via its digipeater
function.  It can have the same sub alias set for digipeatingas in the
main digipeater box, because all it is doing is providing extra
functionality that is not in conflict with the main system.

However, in agreement with what Tony said, the Station Setup would need a
different SSID to the main system, to avoid things like attempts to answer
messages sent to the main callsign.

The resource requirements do not seem to amount to very much extra, if the
16 bit version is used as the second system, as I did.  It was at one
stage on a Pentium 133 that as well as UI-View32 and UI-View16, was also
running AGW with multiple TNCs, WinPack packet, WinFLEX pager decode,
WinOrbit satellite tracking, and had a LAN connected to provide data to
other PCs.  Worked happily 24/7.

Noel, ZL3GR.