[OZAPRS] HF digipeating issues

Noel Rowe noel-r at clear.net.nz
Wed May 26 08:31:25 EST 2004

Tony said:

>The ALIAS of GATE will work as well as ECHO back out on the HF port..
There
>is no way to attach the individual routes to the ALIASES with UIVIEW.
> Also all ALIASES work on ALL ports so that a VHF station could use GATE
>and a HF station could use RELAY if these typical Aliases are setup.

Valid points well worth mentioning, but there is a work arround for using
different routes for different aliases.  What I have done is to run a
second version of UI-View, the 16 bit one does fine for this, and leave it
minimised.  Disable everything you can in the way of beacons etc, except
for the digipeater function.  You then put the alias/route combinations
into the respective versions digipeater boxes.

So if you want, as a random example, you may say want RELAY off port 1 to
WIDE heard on port 1 as not to go back out on port 1 (to port 2 say) then
rather than put all the aliases into the same setup, put them into
different digipeater setups, one on each version of UI-View.

I use the AGW packet engine to drive all my TNCs (I dont usually use it in
sound card mode) and its big advantage is that multiple programs can use
the same set of radios, even if on a LAN.

A trade off to running two versions is that its quick to flick between
maps - you can leave a wide coverage one on the second system and click to
bring it up.

Noel, ZL3GR.