[OZAPRS] VK email server

John Williams vk5zty at bigpond.com
Wed May 12 15:57:22 EST 2004

Just noting usage of the VK email server.

I found one attempt recently using the destination address of the mail
server in lower case
characters.

My impression was that all address fields should be in upper case  which
is why I did not allow
for lower case address fields.

Checking the spec -

2.2.13 Address-Field Encoding
The address field of all frames shall be encoded with both the destination
and source amateur
call signs for the frame. Except for the Secondary Station Identifier
(SSID), the address field
should be made up of upper-case alpha and numeric ASCII characters only.
If level 2 amateur
"repeaters" are to be used, their call signs shall also be in the address
field.

___________

I have not previously come across an aprs client that transmits address
fields in lower case.

Looks like there is a client of some type that can transmit addresses in
lower case and this
would seem to go against the ax25 spec.

The frame I captured came from a ZL2 station.  Maybe they can advise which
client they were
using.

Thought I would mention this to explain why the server did not respond in
case there were
other
occurrences where the destination address was in lower case.

Cheers
John
VK5ZTY