[OZAPRS] VK email server

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Mar 30 03:34:46 EST 2004

>>> "John Williams" <vk5zty at bigpond.com> 3/27/04 9:50:53 PM >>>
>
>I am testing an aprs email server...
>The aprs spec only allows 0 - 67 characters in the
>message field which includes the email  address.

I would not object in this instance, since we know that
the first part of the Email Message is an EMAIL address,
and that part of the message, after being parsed out
and used for addressing, is no longer part of the "message"
content, therefore, that the next 67 bytes AFTER the email
address may be retained.

Thats a messed up wordy sentence to ssay that these
might be the best rules for an Email ENgine:

1) If APRS message is less than 67 then use as is.
2) If APRS message is longer than 67, then remove the
    email address from the body and send what's left
3) If that is still more than 67 bytes, then truncate.

BUT wait....  hummh... at this point, the message is
no longer on APRS anyway, but is in Email, so
why do we need to truncate it at all?

de Wb4APR, Bob

So anything over this limit is truncated.  Although most aprs clients
will send the extra text as
another message anyway and   the server will see this next message as
an invalid aprs email
message.

The server will not run 24/7 until I am happy with it.

But if you do want to try , it should be running most of today.

Usage is:
Send a message to VKMAIL
First part of the message text is a valid email followed by a space
then the text content.

So something like this would be a typical message packet
VK5ZTY>APU24L ::VKMAIL   :vk5zty at bigpond.com  test{00

John
VK5ZTY