[OZAPRS] EMAIL messages

Tony Hunt wavetel at iname.com
Sun Mar 21 18:11:00 EST 2004

Well done Geoff, Richard Hamish and all involved.. It works here now..
Just sent off EMAIL and UIMAIL via our local Igate on RF and I got ACKs
and reply confirmations back on RF within 60 seconds ..

I also note that since I did that we now have Posits for both MB7UAA and
WU2Z comming out of the Igate here which I do recall in times past seemed
to be the norm when doing messaging to Overseas stations that dont
normally appear on our national feeds..

So thats that one solved.. Was worth the effort.. Its been a awful long
time that EMAIL hasnt worked frankly..

As I said to Geoff on air.. Its come a long way in a short time.. About 12
months ago it was impossible to even message interstate via the Igates..
Now that works.. We live and learn.. Between APRSD developments and
configurations that dont allways appear obvious we are getting there..

It all shows the need to keep up with developments especially with things
like APRSD which is constantly evolving.. I have been involved with Beta
testing of a few bits of software in the past and if you dont keep up then
you get seriously left behind wondering why things dont work for you when
they do for everybody else..

As to if we have a national EMAIL server , well I will leave that to
someone who can write the software or procure some.. I saw all of Richards
copious discussions with Roger B on the UI-View list and I dont think
anybody has responded to your request for some server software there
Richard..

As to EMAIL servers.. Over the last 9 months or so Ive played about with
these things and consistantly noticed unfortunately that the EMAIL server
isnt running and it seems perhaps that Rogers UIMAIL server may be more
reliable in this regard..

I personally would prefer to see any server like this in Australia (if we
have one) running on a machine which is usually ON and functional 100% of
the time.. Not on sombodys machine that gets turned on and off when they
feel like going to bed or playing some old DOS games etc..
Ideally a LINUX box like one of the APRS servers and not a windows based
machine..

I dont run LINUX myself but I am pretty convinced that Windows is not
entirely stable.. At work we have UNIX based machines that run for
months/years without reeboots and this is something foreign to Windows O/S
in my experiences..

Tony Hunt  VK5AH