[OZAPRS] EMAIL messages

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 19 11:28:32 EST 2004

>>> "Tony Hunt" <wavetel at iname.com> 3/18/04 7:02:30 PM >>>
>> 2) " AT " as a second word needs to be considered as
>> equivalent to @  THought it probably does need spaces
>> before and after to distinguish it from the callsign..
>
>Hmm.. I dont have a D7 but I assume you can't get the
>@ character to work on a D7 in a message .. Is this so ??

No, its just saving key strokes is all. _AT_ is 4 strokes
easily in the blind instead of 6 identical strokes on the #
key while watching the screen to see if you got the @
or not (while driving)...

But I admit the savings are not at all significant.  I backed
into that suggestion by first realizing that "AT" by itself
was only 2 strokes (big savings compared to 6), but
then since you have to add the spaces around it, you
end up with not much savings...

So really, it was just to get some thinking about other
ways to abbreviate the email process since *clearly*
an APRS message sent to "E" is already an indication
that the first of the message is going to be an address,
so a smart processor should be able to help us out
by looking for common abbreviations if we can
define them...

Bob, WB4APR