[OZAPRS] EMAIL messages

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 19 10:40:13 EST 2004

>> Sombody said Roger G4IDE was running a server........
>
>Yes, and as far as I can remember to use it you need to
>send to "uimail" instead of "email".

Ah great!  There were several things I wanted the WU2Z
EMAIL engine to do, but I was not able to talk the authors
into doing them.  Maybe I can talk Roger into them if he has
not already put them in there himself.

These ideas are all based on the fact that the usual
person that needs the email feature of APRS is typically
a Kenwood TH-D7 user who needs to send an Email
from his HT. (or mobile).  Thus BREVITY is golden.
Hence these requests:

1) The TO-ADDRESS can be abbreviated to just "E".
(if Sprouls havent dont this, then Roger can go ahead
and just do it for the "E" address.  This saves 8 key
presses.  (but check, maybe Sprouls did this one).

2) " AT " as a second word needs to be considered as
equivalent to @  THought it probably does need spaces
before and after to distinguish it from the callsign..

3) We need abbreviations for some common addresses
such as @AMSAT.ORG and @ARRL.ORG.  I'd
suggest that "k3xy at amsat" as the first 3 words of
an "E" message would be interpreted the same as
"k3xy at amsat.org" but is 10 button presses less.

4) Same for ARRL.   "k3xy at arl" would save 13
instead of k3xy at arrl.org.  Problem is that this is
USA centric and would need additions for other
countries.  So I'm not sure of this one.

Then if someone wanted to go a lot further with this,
then I had propsoed this additional level.  That is:

a) Any person can associate an EMAIL address with
his callsign.  Thus an "E" messaage to K3XY
is all that has to be entered.  The Email engine will
have on file the email address for this call.

b) To get the email addreess association, any person
that wants to have his email address associated
with his call would send a formatted message
(not from his HT, but a one-time APRS message
that said in effect" Associate this call with this
email address".  Roger's Email engine would see
that APRS message and make and remember that
association.    Then anyone sending an "E"
message to that call will automatically get that
Email address.

When someone registers his email address (b) above,
he gets an email confirming the association.

c) actually some levels of security may be desired
and required.  All of this has to be automatic, becuase
one thing that never works in HAM radio is placing
a management nightmare on someone such as
Roger that has much greater technical talents on
which to spend his time..

But that is the goal.  For a callsign on APRS to have
a one-for-one email address if desired so that
"E" messages get to him...

Just some thoughts...

Bob, WB4APR