[OZAPRS] RE: Findu can't find me

Tony Hunt wavetel at iname.com
Thu Mar 18 20:57:32 EST 2004

Hamish.. To use the EMAIL servers

send a APRS message TO EMAIL
The message content needs to start with a valid email address and its
assumed that the first space after the email address terminates the email
address and begins the actual message content.. As you can see only small
messages can be sent.. The ACKs for this dont actually come back from the
callsign of EMAIL but are the correct ACK for the original message sent
addressed to the sender and from the callsign of the email server..

As regards Johns comments that a station would only send Emails to a
station
it can see on a map.. Not so.. I use it at times when travelling
interstate
to try to re-establish HF skeds that are broken via terestrial Nets or
even
via ISS/PCSAT .. I would never expect an ACK back from ISS etc but an ACK
from the terestrial nets would be nice..

The EMAIL.. Well things certainly do vary..

Using UI-View logged onto 10153 second.net.au I dont get a ACK tonight on
my
own server whereas I used to.. I changed to the 10152 global feed and
tried
again and still No ACK .. So far NO email deliverly either.. I suspect the
Email servers are down.. This happens from time to time apparently.. So
another good argument for a VK based server.. Sombody said Roger G4IDE was
running a server but in all my time Ive never had a email back via his
server.. Its generally WU2V I think (one of the Sprowl Brothers) or
another
one in the USA..

The Digi Bit being set or not set.. Yes it definitly depends on what
software/application your viewing it with.. We also have Ui-Digis in
Adelaide predominantly and using One app it appears the digi bits remain
set
once they are set but using a dumb terminal on a TNC produces different
results.. Perhaps they just cheat with the TNC and try to cut out what
appears to be obvious.. Just because the * isnt displayed doesnt mean the
digi bit isnt set after all.. Its just a visual display/representation of
the packet..

Tony Hunt  VK5AH