[OZAPRS] Findu and Email Unreliable ?

Tony Hunt wavetel at iname.com
Fri Mar 12 15:46:09 EST 2004

Hamish.. Yes your right we have no idea what the cause of this is.. I
suspect its deeper than just our own Igate in Adelaide.. The Igate here
runs
on a 2 meg ISDN or ADSL connection as far as I know.. Its something more
than just a 56k Dialup anyway..

A duplicated Findu is an idea but maybee not the best.. I am more inclined
to fix the problem before bandaiding it.. I suspect its not that easy to
fix
as Ive said and maybee the only reality is a work around..

As for email servers.. Whats the legal stand on these in Australia ?? Its
nice to be able to send a email off as a reminder or note to someone when
mobile interstate or when mobile in the outback using APRS but it
basically
doesnt work in VK or rarely.. I have just tryed to send a email from
uiview
on line while logged onto the Igate server.. It worked but I got no ACK
for
it which is typical..
The server was one of the Sproul brothers machines in the US ..

I did the same test logged onto aprs.net.au and also the local server at
vk5uj .. I got an ACK only from the national server.. Maybee something is
amiss on the local server but it doesnt explain why the whole ISS heard
page
MAp goes blank for days at a time in VK and not ZL or any other part of
the
world.. http://www.ariss.net/  and yet there are APRS stations giving
posits
on there regularly and Satgates on there as well.. I put about 4 posits or
more through it this morning VK5AH-3 and VK5AH-6 ..

Its amazing that its so hard to get a posit through to FINDU unless its
sent
out with great regularity or something.. In effect a station in the middle
of the bush has little chance if any at getting a posit through via ISS ..
still dont understand completely ..

Tony and Eva Hunt   wavetel at iname.com