[OZAPRS] Findu and Email Unreliable ?

Tony Hunt wavetel at iname.com
Thu Mar 11 19:44:42 EST 2004

I wonder if somebody can explain for me these things ?? Maybee Richard
Hamish or Geoff ..

Ive noticed that Findu in particular is very intermittent .. It will not
seem to record posits sometimes for hours even though they are hitting the
internet feeds here in VK .. Also Email rarely works.. This seems to
persist
for days and then comes good for a while mysteriously..

Let me explain.. Ive noticed this using ISS quite often .. In that a posit
downlinks and hits the Igate and makes it onto the national map fine.. I
have had a PC running Ui-View logged onto the VKaprs server running no RF
gear and seen the posits appear fine on the map.. This is proof that
somethings amiss.. These posits dont get to Findu..

The web page for the stations heard via ISS reveals this flaw as well
since
they have started putting maps up there http://www.ariss.net/ .. Every few
days we seem to get a blast of stations appearing on the world map in VK5
VK3 VK2 and then it seems to go blank for days.. I am running a 24/7
Satgate
here and frequently put posits through it and onto the net..

I know VK3JTM runs a Satgate also and I see he gates ISS frames at times
when it does work..

Our Igate is currently connected to second.aprs.net.au ..

Ive also found it rare that EMAIL works via APRS messaging and even rarer
that one gets a ACK back as well..

On comming home after driving VK5AH-9 I find checking imediatlely that no
posits have been heard for 3-4 hours at times from VK5AH-9 on FINDU and
yet
the Igate is running here in Adelaide and we are seeing Igate traffic ok
on
air..

So there appears to be a blockage in the pipe from VK to the US which is
an
issue ve raised before.. Thats just a speculation from myself but I would
like sombody to give us another theory..

Just because a APRS frame makes it to the national server doesnt mean that
it got to the rest of the world..
This is a real pain with Sat downlinks in particular as one can only get
about 1-2 posits a day through a Satgate .. It seems obserd that the weak
link in the system is in fact the internet feeds and not the RF side which
involves Sat uplinks and downlinks..

Do we need a FINDU and EMAIL server based in  VK ?? It may be a big ask
but
I thought I would ask the question.. I suspect it will solve the problems
Ive outlined above ..

Any comments ?? I will ignore all flames ..

Tony Hunt   VK5AH